Even if you implemented a number of search engine optimization techniques during the inception of your website, there is no real harm in coming back and taking an objective look to make sure that you are doing all that you can. Search Engine Optimization is not a “set it and forget it” process, but rather it is a living thing that grows with your website, and should be evolving as technologies evolve, and as search engines change how they look at websites and rank them accordingly. Website SEO will generally involve a number of different techniques that are designed specifically to help the website improve its ranking in search engine results for keywords that are relevant to the topic of the website.
There are a number of different factors that relate to SEO that are overlooked by many website owners and this prevents the website from ever getting the most out of what search engines have to offer. Here is a look at the SEO techniques that you should be employing in order to keep your website ranking high for the most relevant keywords to your niche or industry. These often overlooked factors may be missing from your own website, or there may still be room for improvement.
- Internal Linking Structure: It can become extremely easy to lose track of your internal linking structure as you work on developing the SEO techniques for your website. Still, proper internal linking is an excellent way for you to spread out what is known as your link juice. It is always a good idea for you to sit down and analyze the internal linking structure in your website. If your website is utilizing ten or more separate web pages, then it would be wise for you to sit down and put together a structured SEO diagram for your website, breaking everything down into three different sections in the process. The first section would list your index web page, the second section would list your secondary pages with competitive keyword phrases, and then the third section would be designated for third level, less competitive keyword phrases. This will help you keep your internal linking structure in better order, so that when search engine spiders visit your website, they will find every single web page without getting lost.
- META Tags: The next thing that you should do is to take a look at your Meta tags, because it never hurts to sit down and re-examine them to see if the pages that are not converting well may be having a Meta tag problem. Are the Meta tags in place actually describing the content of the page in question? Are you creating unique Meta tags for every individual web page on your site? The more work that you put into developing your Meta tags, the more return on investment you will end up achieving as a result.
- Re-Examine Keywords: You are going to want to re-examine the keyword phrases that you are focusing on. Now is a fine time for you to re-examine the SEO keyword phrases that you are optimizing your content for. If a web page in your site structure only appears to be optimized for a single SEO keyword phrase, then it would be wise for you to consider adding additional similar and relevant keyword phrases on those pages in order to boost the capabilities of those content pieces.
- Build More Links: Link building is a process that absolutely never hurts when it comes to SEO for your website. If a specific keyword phrase is not allowing you to perform as well as you would like in terms of SEO, then you should consider trying to create more one-way anchor text links to specific parts of your website in order to better optimize these pages and their corresponding keywords.
- Optimize on a Local Level: This one is rather obvious, but some of the best SEO strategies somehow forget how to optimize locally. It is definitely going to be much easier for you to rank on a local level than on a national one. Thinking big may be easy, but sometimes thinking on a much smaller scale is better for helping you work your way up the chain. Make sure that you are optimizing on a local level by using keywords that reference local areas in order to better optimize your content.
These are some great refresher tips for beginner SEO, and should help you to jump start your capabilities for driving more traffic.